Thursday, May 24, 2012

Just as I feared: the newest Autopoke doesn't work

As I was getting ready to deploy the newest version of Facebook Autopoke, I decided to open it up to see if it still works.  Just as I feared, it doesn't.

A very quick look at the source and it looks like that it will take quite a long time to figure out how to do automatically again.

Back in January, I decided to stop development on Facebook Autopoke because there were various copies of my script on userscripts.  While a vast majority of them have been deleted and removed, it shifted my focus elsewhere.  And with the ever-changing landscape of Facebook, it's becoming clear that the "Poke" feature is becoming antiquated.  What I mean by this is that the "Poke" feature isn't a major button anymore.  It's actually tucked away under the "Gears" menu.

I believe it's only a matter of time before Facebook does away with the whole poke thing.  Originally, this script allowed me to beat friends in poke wars.  And since I'm no longer poking anyone, this script was maintained only for others.

My personal philosophy in coding has been to code to make my life easier and then release the code to others to see if anyone else can benefit from it.  Since I'm no longer using the script, I'm sure this announcement will cause you pain.

Effective immediately, all development on my Facebook Autopoke script will cease.

I will be releasing the latest changes to the Facebook Autopoke script this weekend so that if you want the latest code, you can get it.  Be advised that it's set to "developer" mode so it produces a lot of noisy output.  I want to thank users who have put up with me inconsistent build schedule and for all of the support over the five-ten years that this script has been in development.  The userscript uid is 5200!  This was one of the first scripts I ever wrote.  Going back through each revisions show how much I had learned as a programmer and how much my style has evolved.

Normally, when I retire a program, I release the code under the more permissive MIT License.  But because of the numerous violations, the code will stay under the GPL until further notice.  If you would like to use a different license, please contact me.

Finally, you'll notice that tailgate is more than just for the Facebook Autopoke.  Instead of creating a Google code project for individual script I write, I decided to create one repository for everything.  The latest script that I have written is Give Me Paste Back.

5 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Sorry to hear you do not use the poke feature and therefore feel it isn't worth maintaining. I don't blame you, but it would be great to get a few other knowledgeable committers to the project. Give your hard work a chance for others to improve. New releases are bound to have much better coding - as it is maintained - than those who attempt to replicate your scripts as their own. Facebook is by and large, and the Poke feature hasn't been removed since it was introduced in the early days of Facebook's introduction. I still will check back to see if you have changed your mind on the licensing or if you decide you would want to fix all this work you have done to work one last time. You probably aren't as far away from fixing the current issue as you'd think. I just miss this plugin, like many others.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, the full source will be available this weekend. I haven't had a chance to run hg push yet. The most current version of the Autopoke script will be available to the public. It was initially hidden due to the license violations. But since the most current version of Autopoke doesn't work anyway, I don't have a problem releasing it.

      Anyone can clone my Google Code project, which will include all of my Greasemonkey scripts as well as other scripts that I've authored. Since this is mostly a personal repository, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to add developers to the code base. But, like I said, you are more than welcome to clone the repo

      Delete
  2. Ok, I decided to remote into my machine and just push the whole repository. My google code repo is now in sync with my local repository.

    Have at it!

    ReplyDelete